Search

Unknown Caller

May 10th [a.k.a. Mothers Day, 2009]

6:43
Asleep in my hotel room in St. George. Woken up by my ringing phone. Its an unknown caller. Area code 366. What kind of area code is that? I think to myself. Wrong number. I don't answer.

8:32
Still asleep. My phone rings again. Same number. Curious, but still tired. Must be a wrong number calling again. They still don't realize they have their mistake. I don't answer.

9:04
I wake up for the final time. The phone is ringing. I decide to answer, but not fast enough. dang.

9:13
I realize I have a voice mail. This should be entertaining I think to myself. I Give it a listen. First, confusion. Then my jaw literally dropped. My eyes were opened wide. "Oh, no. Oh, no. Oh, no!"

Voice Mail
"Hey look, I'm (porting?) in the rain right now, and the most you can do is answer your phone, so just answer. Okay, bye."- Elder Michael Tom

Area Code 366 is for France.

Frantically, I try to redial (knowing very well that it was probably against rules and I could get him in trouble, but if he took the risk...)

"Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and try again..."

I try again.

"Your call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the number and try again..."

I give up.

9:32
I tell my family about my stupid mistake. I can't stop thinking about my stupidity. I had 3 chances. I took none of them. Half heatedly, I try the number again. Desperation compelled me.

Silence.
My shoulders slump. Why would it work now?

First ring.
My heart misses a beat. ...

Second ring.
My heart beats faster. Its working!

Third ring.
My heart beat me. What if its not him who answers... It could be a crazy french man! It could be someone from the mission office who regulates their calls! I could get in trouble! this could prevent me from going on a mission! I decide, whoever it is, I will politely request for Elder Tom.

Fourth ring.
I stop breathing. I know its coming. I don't know how I know. They will answer now, or they will not answer.


They answer.


"Hello?"

"Michael...?" I forgot what I had planed to say.

Silence. "...How did you get this number...?"

"You called me."

"Oh, yeah. My bad."

"Michael!"

I cannot describe to you how much I miss my best friend. Or how proud I am of him. He is a major motivation for me to go on a mission. I am no longer scared. I am no longer worried. I am no longer nervous. I am just anxious.

Halfway through our conversation, my phone ran out of battery. I made a dash for my car to get my charger and ran up 3 flights of stairs and down a hallway to our room. When I called him back, he told me he was trying to call me at the same moment. We are totally in sync. Even from halfway across the world.

He told me that he couldn't remember any phone numbers but mine (not even his girlfriends) and he was calling from his missionary cell phone. I have that number saved on my phone. It is so hard for me not to call it. I should delete it, but I cant make myself do it. I'm pretty sure I wont use it. Pretty sure...

Later that day I dubbed him 'My Missionary'. My mom was grossed out, but I thinks its funny and it fits. All in all, it was a great day.

P.S. we are not gay for each other.

3 comments:

  1. Is Porting a missionary term? 'Cause I think that's what he said...

    I also still have that message saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah that's so fun you guys got to talk!!

    ReplyDelete